Sunday, November 18, 2012

The End of Days is Upon Us!

©Hostess (for now)
If you haven't heard, Hostess Brands, makers of Twinkies, CupCakes, Sno Balls, and other yummy treats has closed its doors. And the world is going Twinkie crazy. It's sad, I grew up snacking on these cream filled treats. They were lunch box staples for us children in the 80s. And they were good. Healthy... not so much. But still good. While my dad was the big Twinkie lover in the family, I was more of a Suzy Q girl. Even more, I was a Drake's Cakes fan... Devil Dogs being my number one treat, frozen of course. If you aren't familiar with Drake's, then you must not of spent a lot of time in the Northeast. They were a staple around my area. Some of their products were Hostess knock-offs, but others were unique like Funny Bones - peanut butter filled cakes; Sunny Doodles, Yankee Doodles, and Coffee Cakes. Yum yum!

I'm mentioning Drake's, because in 1998 they became part of the Hostess family. That means with Hostess saying goodbye... Drake's is a dead duck. (Drake's logo was a duck). This closing also means the end of Wonder Bread... which I have eaten all my life. It's one of the few sandwich worthy breads out there. My childhood lunch memories are slowly dying in front of me. *tear*

But I guess good things don't last forever... despite the rumors, Twinkies don't last forever! Now, I know there is still hope that someone will buy the brands and hopefully not change them, but with more and more people eating natural and clean... Twinkies aren't really something you'll find on a number of menus. But I can see some of the items hanging around in some form. Sadly, Twinkie the Kid might have his days numbered.

If someone doesn't buy the brand, then stock up... if you can find them. I've seen a number of listings on Ebay... for $1,000s to $1,000,000s of dollars. Guess it all depends on how bad you'll need your fix.

I'm going to do a little recap of stuff floating around the interent about this... feel free to google to get all the reports, memes, and comics that have been done:

<insert jokes about Woody Harrelson's Zombieland character and Twinkies>
<Insert jokes about marijuana becoming legal in two states and Twinkies going down>
<Insert reports that this is all the Mayans doing>
<Insert articles that First Lady Obama is to blame>

You get the general idea. While overall it is sad to see so many American workers getting laid off so close to the holidays, and the issues that are being brought up about unions... so economy wise it's a sad day for people. But since it is about a snack food cake, it's more jokes then it should be.

So, good wishes to all the workers heading into the holidays with no jobs. Hopefully a miracle can come from this. And to all you Twinkie hoarders and those trying to make a quick profit... shame. Just share the wealth. Crack open a case with some friends, remember back in the days, and enjoy what's left. I know that's what I'll be doing...

Frozen, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment