Sunday, November 11, 2012

Surrounded by Heroes

Since today is Veterans Day, I thought I'd take a minute to tell you about the heroes in my family. 

Throughout my life, the military has always been there. I spend 14 months of the first 2 years of my life living on a air base in Germany, thanks to the most important hero in my life, my dad. We also lived on a base in Florida when I was small. When I was 6, my dad went into the Air Force Reserves and that's when we moved to Connecticut. And he stayed in the Reserves through the 1st Gulf War, which happened while I was in high school. That was an interesting time... during the war he was put on active duty and stationed- thankfully - in New Jersey. 

Even I took a go at the military, I was in the CT Air National Guard for a few months. Spent one month in basic training... it was amazing. I would do it again in a heartbeat! And the food was YUM! But sadly, health issues sent me packing and ended my short military career. As it turns out, I was the last one in my entire family to have some sort of military career. I still have some cousins under 18, so maybe one of them will carry on the tradition. Hopefully, we won't still be in a war when they are old enough to join.

Here are photos of my military men. They are all so handsome in their uniforms! 
Dad - Air Force


Grandpa Baker - Marines

Grandpa Simon - Army

 Uncle David - Army

Uncle Alan - Air Force

Uncle Jack - Marines (w/Grandma Baker)


Sadly, Grandpa B., Grandpa S., and Uncle David are no longer with us, though none passed during their time in uniform. Grandpa B. was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery in 2005. The service was very well done, with men in full Marine uniforms. Very moving and quite impressive!

Arlington National Cemetery
Again, thank you to all that are currently serving and have served in our great United States military. If it wasn't for you, we would not be able to live the lives we have here in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment