Thursday, July 5, 2012

Mama's Boy

This is the story about a not-so-tiny grey kitty that goes by the name Gryffin. He joined my little family in December 2004 at the age of 6 months old, while I was living in Maryland. He was named Elliot by the rescue group I adopted him from and was originally going to be called Stitch. But he really didn't seem like a Stitch, so he ended up being named Gryffindor. Yes, he is named after a Hogwarts house. And the name couldn't be a more perfect fit. Like all true Gryffindors, he is pretty brave, very daring, and oh so full of chivalry. And he is the love of my life. Some days I really don't know how I got here today without him.

You see, two days after Gryff was adopted I was laid of from my job that brought me to the state of Maryland. It wasn't the first time I had lost a job, but it was the first time I was living in a state away from ALL my family. Thankfully, my mom was also not working at the time, so she was visiting me when it all went down. In fact, she was the one who gave my Gryff... he was an early Christmas present! But while it was nice to have my mom with me at the time, she couldn't stay... and my lease wasn't up until April 2005. Gryffin and I ended up heading home to CT for the holidays, but come early January it was just us, alone, in Maryland. Let me tell you, having him to care for was the highlight of my days. He made it worth getting out of bed. Well, for the most part. He's a cuddle monkey and sometimes made it hard to GET out of bed when he was purring at your side.

June 2005
Enough of the heavy, let's get back to the bundle of fur. For some reason, I can't locate any photos when I first got him. I have them, just can't find them. I blame my really poor computer file system that I keep! Anyways, here is the little guy around his first birthday, June 2005. Isn't he a cutie? He is also a huge chatter box. I can have full conversations with him! He'll just sit there chatting away. And when I say he is a cuddle monkey... I mean it. One of his favorite spots is on my desk, right between me and the laptop. Laying on one of my arms. He makes it a little hard to work... but who can say no to a warm, squishy, purring bundle of love? And he loves to play, whether it's with his toys or your arm. I've been licked, and bit, so many times I've lost count!
September 2007

Now, is Gryffin perfect? To me yes, but to others they may not think so. He does have his quarks, which charming as they may be, might not sit well with others. For one thing, he has severe separation issues. He loses it when I am not around. He also has this habit of sitting at the dinner table with the family. As soon as my dad gets up, he hops in the chair. And he is such a messy eater! If he is eating and something distracts him, out of his mouth and on the floor it goes. And eating food off the floor? He won't do it. He also won't eat people food or out of your hand, and he doesn't know moderation. If you give him a full bowl of food he will eat until he gets sick. Though he'll only eat from the middle of the bowl. If it's on the edges he'll cry till you move it to the middle. I really should have given him the middle name of spoiled!

December 2008 - right between me
and the laptop!
Some of his other "habits"... running to the middle of the house and screaming loudly to let you know he pooped. He is obsessed with peeing in empty plastic laundry baskets or bins. He also adores chewing on paper. I've had to reprint many blog project notes because he's chewed them to bits. And he begs to be feed at 4am almost Every. Freakin. Day. After 7 1/2 years of this I now get up at that time... whether he is meowing or not. My buttons... he knows every one. Like jumping on my laptop in the middle of the night. Or scratching at my door when it's closed because I'm trying to work. Or barging into the bathroom, like he can't be away from you for a second. See, lots of quarks.

Even with all that, he really is the perfect kitty. When it really matters he knows when you need him, and he knows when your really need to be left alone. He's been with me through my lowest lows. And if I ever get some super highs, he'll be there too. He truly is a good boy who loves his mama. And his mama truly loves him.

June 2012

1 comment: