Saturday, November 19, 2011

Rollin' in Doh

I've been on a bit of a purging streak lately - eBaying items I don't want, giving toys to children of friends, stuff like that. I was saving all this stuff for a future life that I am no longer seeing in my future. So it's time to go.

In my purging fit I've come across quite a bit of Play-Doh. Man, I love me some Play-Doh. It has to be my all time favorite smell! I love the way you could make anything you could dream of. The way it felt in your hands. The kits to make food or give someone hair. It had to be my second all time favorite toy. (Legos are at the top of my list)

The oldest can of the Doh I found was dated 1987. The newest 2009. As someone with a graphic design background, I was most excited to see the way the logo has changed over the last 20+ years.

L to R: 1987, 1993, 2000, & 2009
The other things that were interesting were all on the 2009 can. Play-Doh has gotten rid of its little boy mascot and added the words "Fun to play with, but not to eat." The 2009 can also added a "Notice to Parents: Contains Wheat." 1987 can... no mention of Do Not Eat. Sign of the times. Another interesting thing... 1987 Doh, still good. Some the of the cans from 2000, hard as a rock. Another sign of the times.

Sometimes I miss the 80s. Clearly, my generation survived them, even without warnings not to eat our Play-Doh. And our playing in the dirt. And playing outside till the streetlights came on. But that's a topic for another post.

Not sure what I'm going to do with all the cans of Play-Doh, other than smell it. But oh the smell... good times. It's my own personal brand of heroin. Yes, I'm also a Twilight fan.

Listen to me rattle on about Play-Doh. Clearly, I need a more interesting life.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmm? You're blogging about Play Doh and I'm reading it. Two different generations of uniquely interesting women. ;)

    PS: I also like that smell of Play Doh. My sister hates it. My niece had to have her Play Doh fun at my house or Nana and Pappy's house when she was little. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love the smell of Play-Doh, it takes me back to my childhood.

    And it only takes one time of tasting Play-Doh to know not to eat it. I learned that from a friend. Yeah, a friend...

    Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't smelled Play-Doh in years, but I can smell it clearly now without even having a can here! Great post!

    ReplyDelete